LUFC Extends Unbeaten Streak to Three in Draw at PDX FC (3-3)

The Lane United Women have extended their unbeaten streak to three games after a highly contested offensive affair at PDX FC, one that saw the two squads draw 3-3. 

With both teams tied at seven points heading into the match, Wednesday’s game at Sam Barlow High School could’ve been a perfect opportunity for the Reds to distance themselves in the third-place spot. Instead, the one-point and maintained deadlock will suffice.

Goalkeeper Olivia Riddel makes a first half save. (Peter Bellerby/NW Sports Pics)

Thankfully for LUFC, they were able to keep themselves in the game early. Within the first four minutes of the match, PDX forward Raeanne Jones electrified the crowd and the game with two goals. 

With the PDX goal smoke clouding the sunny skies, LUFC wasted no time with their response. 

A lazy goal kick was intercepted by Lillian Nowatzke along the far right of the field. She immediately crossed for a wide-open Jessie Hawes, who ripped a shot that was deflected nicely by PDX keeper Kora Fry. Briana Kubli was the first one on the deflection, however, for a right-place, right-time goal to make it 2-1 PDX in just the 6th minute.

A 34th-minute PDX goal by Eliza Bentler grew the lead back to two, but LUFC would respond impressively again, this time right before the half.

Defender Lexis Canyete-Asato cuts inside a PDX FC defender. (Peter Bellerby/NW Sports Pics)

The possession spanned from penalty box to penalty box, and took just 15 seconds. Lexis Canyete-Asatos threw the ball in to Jessie Hawes, who immediately sent an inside pass to Sela Freeman. Freeman took a few dribbles, then placed a perfect through ball around two PDX defenders to a streaking Kubli. 

Kubli’s 1-on-1 opportunity with Fry was initially deflected again, but Kubli, Wednesday’s Player of the Match, was there for the rebound to earn herself a brace and inch the lead back to 3-2 just before the half. 

The Reds found their equalizer a minute into the second half, again with some impressive connecting passes and cuts from their forwards and midfielders.

An overlapping run by Kubli down the right flank allowed Nowatzke to play her into space. Kubli dribbled toward the corner while a cutting Nowatzke and Freeman awaited in the middle. Kubli’s cross had just enough to find a fellow Red, and this time it was Freeman who punched it into the back of the net to tie the game at three apiece. 

Goal-scorer Sela Freeman takes a shot in the first half. (Peter Bellerby/NW Sports Pics)

After surrendering three first-half goals, LUFC’s defense found its footing in the second half. With the ball on the Reds’ threatening end and in their possession practically all half, LUFC only worried about a few lower-stress chances from the home side.

Unfortunately, after that abrupt offensive flurry in the middle of the game, the Reds were unable to cash in any of their opportunities over the final 44 minutes. They continued to pepper the PDX FC goal, forcing a total of 9 saves by netminder Sophia Barr. 

The Reds will turn around quickly before facing off against second-placed United PDX in Portland on Saturday, June 24th. The two teams met earlier this year at Civic Park with United squeaking out a 1-0 win in a tightly contested affair, so expect the Reds to seek revenge.