Galas: “We Weren’t Ruthless Enough in the Final Third”

After Lane United FC’s intense 1-1 draw with PDX FC, hear from head coach John Galas, and a pair of the University of Creighton attendees: forwards Owen Nelson and Ben Foulks.

Manager John Galas gives instructions to substitute Landon Sloan in the 2nd half. (Barbara Minkler)


On what he saw during the physical first half:

“Not much. There wasn’t much football. We were trying to establish the game, I thought we possessed well at times but the final ball was missing and we were getting impatient trying to break down their block. We weren’t ruthless enough in the final third and just didn’t create too much on our own.”

On what second-half adjustments were made:

“We just talked about more dynamic runs, moving off the ball, being a little more patient when we push the ball, and not trying to rush it or force things. It’s hard on this field, it’s 64 yards wide. We didn’t make those adjustments in the first half, and we were able to do a little more in the second.”

On the focus for Sunday against Oly Town:

“It certainly is an important game. We can’t come out of there with zero points; we’ve got to go after three. We’ll see what happens to Oly against Ballard on Friday; they have a quick turnaround also. I like our chances of playing at home on a big field, and we play really well at home. I’m excited to get on a regular-sized soccer field.”

Forward Owen Nelson was a threat in attack all game long. (Barbara Minkler)


On the postgame mood in the locker room:

“We were disappointed. It wasn’t as lively as it should’ve been. Obviously, we want to come away with three points.”

On the mental approach for Sunday against Oly Town FC:

“Full throttle. We got to put the pedal to the metal because we need three points and a lot of results to come in and help us this weekend.”

On what changed in the second half compared to the first:

“We were calm and composed on the ball. We had some careless giveaways, but I thought we did well switching the field. We did some give-and-go’s and we really did well finding that last pass. The goal just didn’t come.”

Forward Ben Foulks controls a ball while holding off a PDX FC defender. (Barbara Minkler)


On his first start with LUFC:

“It was great to break free and be out there with the guys. Tough game though.”

On what changed in the second half:

“I think it was getting in the locker room, calming down, and realizing that we’re the better team. Honestly, it was a matter of small technical mistakes in the first half, so once we started connecting those passes and getting side-to-side the game really opened up.”

On what he’s looking forward to ahead of Sunday’s game against Oly Town:

“I’m excited to get some revenge. That tie, for all of us, it felt like a loss at their house, so back home at Civic Park we’re going to give it our all and we’re going to go for it.”

(Main photo credit: Peter Bellerby/NW Sports Pics)