Lane United FC Falls Short in 1-0 Defeat to Capital FC

After a convincing 5-2 win on Friday night over United PDX and with a difficult turnaround of less than 48 hours, Lane United FC dropped their second match of the season, 1-0 to visiting Capital FC Atletico.

In an intense and competitive first half of action, Lane United found themselves trailing 1-0 to Capital. Despite their disadvantage on the scoreboard, the Reds showcased their attacking prowess with numerous opportunities in the box.

Lane United asserted their dominance on the field from the opening whistle, controlling possession and dictating the game’s pace. Their crisp passing and fluid movement allowed them to create several promising attacking moves, putting Capital’s defense under constant pressure. Unfortunately, the visitors took the lead in the 12th minute when a long ball over the top found a streaking Bryan Gutierrez behind the defense. The winger sent in a low cross to Francisco Magana, who first-timed it inside the far post from six yards out. 

Forward Tommy Case sends in a first half cross versus CFC. (NW Sports Pics/Peter Bellerby)

In the 31st minute, a corner kick left Haruya Iwasaki in possession of the ball. The Japanese center back dropped it off to Dor Moskowitz, who unleashed a powerful shot from beyond the 18-yard box. The shot was deflected by a CFC defender and grazed the top of the crossbar. The Reds’ relentless attacks forced the opposition into a state of urgency as the team continued to create numerous goal-scoring opportunities. Just before the break, striker Wade Muttit stole the ball from a defender and danced along the endline, but his cutback pass went through a crowd in the six-yard box and harmlessly out the other side.

The second half saw both teams in a tense and tightly contested affair. Determined to equalize, the Reds continued their attacking onslaught. Their dominance in possession and relentless pressure on Capital’s defense remained evident throughout the half. They continued to unleash a flurry of shots that tested the Capital goalkeeper repeatedly.

GK Brandon Limes makes a stunning 1v1 save against Fumiya Shiraishi. (Barbara Minkler)

However, Lane United goalkeeper Brandon Limes truly stole the show in the second half in a Man of the Match performance. Limes showcased his exceptional shot-stopping abilities, making two incredible one-on-one saves to keep the home side in the game. 

As the minutes ticked away, both teams exhibited defensive resilience, making it difficult for the opposition to create clear-cut chances. The intensity on the field reached its peak as Banyan Lyon cut inside from the left and ripped a wicked shot from the top of the box in the 71st minute, only for a Capital defender to clear it off the goal line with his chest.

While the scoreline remained unchanged, the game was far from dull or lacking in excitement. It became physical as Capital FC racked up five yellow cards in the second half, while the Reds were determined to continue to put pressure on their backline, disrupting the opponent’s rhythm.

Midfielder Ethan Doud maneuvers between CFC defenders. (NW Sports Pics/Peter Bellerby)

Despite their persistent efforts, Lane United couldn’t find the back of the net. With the 1-0 loss, the Reds drop to 2-2 on the year in league play. They’ll head to Washington next Sunday, June 11, for their next match against Oly Town FC at South Sound Stadium.

(Main photo credit: NW Sports Pics/Peter Bellerby)